U214B Arab Open University Week 10 Community Literacy Practices Discussion
areas of discussing the topic are related to the course book, units 1,2 and unit 3 specially pages 116-117. (i’ll send it to the selected tutor)
1. clarify “literacy practice” as a term.
2. explain the universality or relativeness of “literacy practice”.
3. home literacy practice and relation to mainstream school literacy practice.
4. Shirley Brice Heath and social perspectives on literacy.
• Cook-Gumperz, J. (1986). The Social Construction of Literacy, CUP: Cambridge. Google Scholar • Edwards, Martyn (2012). Literacy practices: using the literacies for learning in further education framework to analyse literacy practices on a post-compulsory education and training teacher education programme. Student Engagement and Experience Journal, 1 (1), 1-10. • Heath, Shirley Brice. (1983). Ways with Words: Language, Life and Work in Communities and Classrooms. Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511841057 • Oxenham, J. (1980). Literacy: Writing, Reading and Social Organisation, Routledge & Kegan Paul, London. Google Scholar • Street, B. (1995). Social Literacies: Critical perspectives on Literacy in Development, Ethnography and Education, Longman: London. Google Scholar