SOCW6301 Walden University Group Research Designs Paper
There are several different types of research designs. Each design is intended to respond to a particular type of research question. The type of research design depends on the type of research questions asked. For this post, select one of the articles from the reading list and consider several classifications of group research designs.
Post your response to the following: Describe which groups are compared in the research. Then, classify the research design as follows:
- By explaining whether the study is pre-experimental (cross-sectional, one-shot case study, and longitudinal), experimental (control group with pretest and posttest, posttest only, or four-group design), or quasi-experimental (comparing one group to itself at different times or comparing two different groups)
- By indicating what the researchers report about limitations of the study
- By explaining concerns you have regarding internal validity and the ability of the study to draw conclusions about causality
- By explaining any concerns you have about the generalizability of the study (external validity) and what aspect of the research design might limit generalizability
Please use the resources to support your answer.
Yegidis, B. L., Weinbach, R. W., & Myers, L. L. (2018). Research methods for social workers (8th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson.
- Chapter 5, “Quantitative Research” (pp. 100-125)
Choose one of the articles below to complete post:
Bauman, S. (2006). Using comparison groups in school counseling research: A primer. Professional School Counseling, 9(5), 357–366.
Kohl, P. L., Kagotho, J., & Dixon, D. (2011). Parenting practices among depressed mothers in the child welfare system. Social Work Research, 35(4), 215–225.
Pinderhughes, E. E., Dodge, K. A., Bates, J. E., Pettit, G. S., & Zelli, A. (2000). Discipline responses: Influences of parents’ socioeconomic status, ethnicity, beliefs about parenting, stress, and cognitive-emotional processes. Journal of Family Psychology, 14(3), 380–400.