English Essay Poetry Analysis
Please remember that an outline is not a rough draft! It should be quick and easy for others to scan. Here is an example
- Your thesis statement (see prompt for my requirement for your thesis statement)
- Topic/point sentences–complete sentences–for each body paragraph (see my handouts on effective body paragraphs for what I’m looking for in a topic/point sentence).
- Information/Evidence: indicate which quotes from the poem you will use in each body paragraph to illustrate your points. Please see requirement on essay prompt for how many quotes you need.
- Information/Evidence: indicate what quotes you will use from Adichie in each body paragraph. Please see requirement on essay prompt for how many quotes you need.
Reply to the person who posted right before you: (to earn full credit, you must address all of the questions below)
a) Offer feedback on their introduction:
- How well does it match the requirements on the essay prompt?
- How strong and clear is the thesis (to evaluate their thesis, you will need to see if it “matches” the topics listed for their body paragraphs: does the thesis provide a road map for the rest of the essay?)
- Offer suggestions that will help them improve their introduction.
b) Provide feedback about their plan for their body paragraphs:
- Does each topic/point sentence make a clear point that relates to the thesis?
- Did they choose relevant quotes from the poem to connect to the point of the paragraph?
- Did they choose relevant quotes from Adichie to connect to the point of the paragraph?
- Offer suggestions that will help them improve the body of their essay.