CJ202 Woolfson Eye Institute Residency in Refractive & Ocular Correction Systems & Practices
The U.S. Law of Money Laundering & Forfeiture, 57 pages
- Discuss the similarities and differences of Sections 1956 and 1957.
- Discuss criminal fines and civil penalties for money laundering transactions.
“Probable Cause to Plunder: Civil Asset Forfeiture and the Problems It Creates,” 7 WAKE FOREST L. J. & POL’Y 315 (2017)
The USA Patriot Act, 40 pages
- Discuss the primary purposes for the passage of Title III of the USA PATRIOT Act.
- Discuss the meaning of special measure matters with respect to jurisdictions, banks and a bank.
- Discuss the Gatekeeper Initiative and how it affects financial institutions and the impact upon lawyers in the U.S.
DEBATE POINT ON THE EVALUATION OF THE AML REGIME:
Navin Beekarry, “The International Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism Regulatory Structure: A Critical Analysis of Compliance Determinants in International Law”, 31 NW.J.INT’L L. & BUS. 137 (Winter, 2011).
DEBATE COUNTER-POINT ON THE EVALUATION OF THE AML REGIME:
“Losing the War Against Money Laundering: Rethinking Global Standards on Preventing Money Laundering and Terrorism Financing,” Richard K. Gordon, 21 DUKE JOURNAL OF COMPARATIVE & INTERNATIONAL LAW, 503-565, (Spring 2011).
ALTERNATIVE APPROACH: THE CREATION OF AN FINANCIAL INTELLIGENCE UNIT IN THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION:
Testimony of James R. Richards on Improving Financial Oversight. A Private Sector View of Anti-Money Laundering Efforts, Read only pages 72-105, (May 18, 2004).
- Discuss the key points from the statement of James Richards, Operations Executive for Global Anti-Money Laundering, Bank of America.
- Discuss the Gordon and Beekarry articles in terms of efficiency and effectiveness of the aml regimes. Is Beekarry discussing the efficiency and compliance with FATF standards and Gordon is discussing the actual effectiveness of the AML regime in the real world?